Today a friend posted a question on Facebook about training pants and it took me back to my potty training experiences with Payton and Aspen.
Let me tell ya.. I came a lonnng way between the two. I remember when Payton turned two I thought that was the magic number to be “potty-trained”. So on his first day back to preschool post 2nd birthday I put him in training pants and ended up with a pee soaked carseat before we made it to the preschool. As if that wasnt a big enough sign I continued my ignorance and really inconvenienced myself for weeks until I finally decided we would just go back to diapering.
Aspen’s potty training was much different. I wasn’t in so much of a hurry for her to just grow up and move to the next milestone (I think the more kids we have the more we can clearly see just how quickly their time being little really is). We waited, didn’t rush whatsoever.
A little after her 30 month birth anniversary we presented her with the potty and she adapted very quickly. It was surprisingly easy and I attribute it to her being 100% ready.
My best tip to any of my friends (or 10 very loved readers) taking a trip on the potty train it’s to throw out everything you think should happen and let your little one set the time frame. You’ll be much less frustrated.
My punctuality was turned upside down when Greyson made his debut into my life. I guess I should have seen this coming since his not so timely arrival resulted in me having to cancel on 2 brides that I was meeting with 8 & 32 hours later.
During busy months at work I could have to leave the house 7 times a day for around 30 minutes to 2 hours at a time. Hiring formal help with the kids hasn’t ever been practical for us because my job is very inconsistent and truly I want to be with them as much as I can.
Even outside of work being on time with young kids can be work. So many unpredictable things pop up; Dirty diapers, wardrobe malfunctions, an unexpected nap…. and if you have a baby or kid that doesn’t sleep well you really want to carpe diem on that moment.
So any way.. these ideas aren’t limited to the self employed person who takes their kids to work, these are methods I use in everything that involves rolling outta the house.
1. Plan to leave 30 minutes prior to when you actually have to leave- This is the most sanity saving method I have been adapting to. Unfortunately I cant always do this because if a client calls and wants an appointment in 20 minutes, that means 30 minutes earlier doesn’t exist. I do use this idea any time I can though. Birthday parties, appointments or any other types of trips that can be planned out ahead.
2. Tell Your Kids The Plan- If there’s one thing I can tell you about Aspen and Payton it’s that a meltdown is more likely to happen if they don’t know what were about to do. Saying “Go to the car” and not much else never wins with them. So I always try to inform them of the plan when I can.
3. Pack A Family Bag- These days I always have a family bag packed for us. Snacks, clothes, wallet, baby wearing necessities, cups.. whatever any of us need. It’s usually in there. I like to keep it in my car because it’s one less thing I have to worry about when I leave.
4. Don’t Go- Remember that you don’t always have to go. Sometimes it’s better to just stay home. I understand life wont always involve working around the needs of our dependents and one day we will be able to do anything on the fly but right now just isn’t it. So sometimes. . I just decline.
I seem to constantly find myself overwhelmed at all I need to accomplish as a wife and mother. I would say 80% of my time during the week is spent being a stay at home wife/mom and the other 20% (sometimes less and more depending on the week) outside of our home in the evenings working at our small business. This year I took on the mission of homeschooling our kindergartener and I look forward to sharing some more about my experiences in homeschooling so far over at My Baby Bird’s.
It seems like I’m constantly running late for an appointment at work, adding more things to my “to do” list than I manage to check off here at home and always racing against the day. The rush I always feel like I’m in sometimes makes it hard to stop and enjoy the moment… you know .. live in the moment. Instead of just going through the motions.
I wish “taking it easy” came naturally to me and no I don’t mean I wish I could lay on my couch more :D. I mean I wish sitting back and enjoying the good times came easier rather than sitting back and worrying about all of the things I should be doing instead, you know?